Who Are The Parker County Homesteaders?

  Parker County Homesteaders is a Facebook community page, a place for people who are interested in or actively participating in the growing of their own food and maintaining and sharing the somewhat lost skills of generations past to gather, seek out and share advice, make connections, and show off  triumphs and share failures with people who understand the true magnitude of what it means to finally get your lavender plant to flower or to lose a meat chicken to a predator.

  That's what the page is. But who are the Parker County Homesteaders, really?
Spearheaded by a former stay at home mom who has perhaps too much free time and is known to go into long diatribes about things as inconsequential as dried beans and who often oversaturates the color of her photos, PCH is simply a group of friends and neighbors. Literally. 
  One of the elements of the group that sets it apart from other homestead pages is that it is centralized around one geographical area: Parker County, Texas. While there are a few members from neighboring counties, all are within an hour driving distance of Parker County. This is integral to the group as this allows all information passed around regarding such things as growing zones, sales at feed stores, local breeders and growers of specific homestead related accoutrements, among other things, to be entirely relevant to everyone in the group. This also allows for the arrangement of face to face interaction with members in ways almost unheard of in this digital, hustle bustle world. 
  While all of the group's nearly 1,100 members have homesteading in common, the people and their exact endeavors are as varied as the day is long. They have arborists, bee keepers, cattle ranchers, dairy farmers, and equestrian enthusiasts. Butchers and bakers and candlestick makers (seriously). Poultry, goat, rabbit, and pig breeders. People who sew and people who save seed and people who make their own soap. They have experts and novices and everything in between, and so much more. However, though the group has grown tremendously in its first year, it still has a tight-knit community feel, and the spirit of giving is alive and well among its ranks.
  The group holds monthly giveaways with prizes donated from other members. Items given away in the past have included rabbits, chicks, soap, milk, cookies, cakes, fertilizer, and more. There was such an overwhelming amount of donations this summer that the giveaways are currently being held weekly. There has also been talk of donating seeds and gardening equipment to families in need, and a collaboration is currently underway between the Agnes Community Center and PCH to create a community garden to help those in need and teach community members about growing their own food.
  On July 15, 2017, Parker County Homesteaders celebrates its first birthday, and I, for one, can't wait to see what the next year will bring for this group.  

-Abby


  

Comments

  1. Happy birthday PCH!!! Thank you for your time and dedication to this group, Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello we are looking to rehome a one year old full blood female Californian rabbit. Lulu belongs to my daughter who recently moved away to college. Lulu is in very good health, was well taken care of and is free to a good home. She is possibly pregnant but has had two successful litters before and is an excellent mother. Can you help us find her a free home? Thanks for any help you can give. Stephanie Norton 817-992-8962

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goats and dog
    In March we gave all our animals away trying to get prepared for being gone on trips and lengthy volunteer missions.. When I went to visit them after one had given birth to twins, the mom looked awful with weight loss and scours. She was near death. I brought them back to my house to get medical care/and to care for. After two months, all are doing well although one of the twins died. Something was wrong with him from the start. I bottled fed and had trips to the vet until a few weeks ago but he was not going to get better. I don't have any kind of guard animal now because I gave our donkey away too. I don't feel they can go back to Granbury so am looking for a new home. The mom is part boar and pygmy. The twin has the cutest long floppy ears like her mom, is still nursing and very tame and playful. I also brought back one pygmy, Speckles; she may be pregnant. I only want them to go as semi-pets, not for eating or parking on vacant land. I would gladly keep them if I'm in town and the new owners need to go out of town but they need a guard animal. Too many have met their fate with our local predators in this area (which have a right to live too).

    Also looking for a home for a rescue dog. She looks to be mostly boxer and was a skeleton, heart worm positive, and had mammary tumors but I have finished the treatment for heart worms and had the surgery to remove the tumors and she is now spayed. She is probably a little over weight now (it happened so fast!). She is sweet and low energy. She is happy being petted, walked and just lying around. She is well house trained, doesn't chew anything, doesn't get in the trash (I even leave the bag of her food in the room with her and she doesn't disturb it), and is an indoor/outdoor dog. She was good with the baby goat when I sometimes brought it in to bottle.
    I knew she would not be adopted in her condition at the shelter so I took her to get her in the shape she needed to be for a forever home. Would gladly keep her to dog sit if home also.

    Please let me know if you have any interest. We're in the White Settlement Rd/ Meadow Hill area. Come and meet the critters and decide. Thanks, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wanted to make sure my email was visible for communication about the goats or dog
    brillodog@hotmail.com or worldpeace@sbcglobal.net Thanks again, Carla K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm looking to rehome our 4month great pyrenees Male hes more than I can take care of i thought he would be good for my husband who has dementia but it's not working out and i don't have a fence yard and I'm afraid hes going to get ran over and also we are suppose to leave to go to Colorado this coming Tues. So if anyone who needs or wants a good guard dog and he loves my neighbors kids please message me

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I haven't yet I was trying to post a pic but cant figure out how to get to this post. Hes short hair and great with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just told about you guys, I have found your very informative, I was told you might have some leads on rabbits, I would like to start raising rabbits .. I'm interested in New Zealands or Californias as I have been told they are the best, for meat....If you can help that would be great. I have raised chickens and beef but now I only have 2 acres so I'm only raising chickens now and since I enjoy rabbit meat, I thought it would be a good choice...thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PCH Calendar is ready to pre-order!

Help! My Chickens Sitting and She Won't Get Up!